Through the generosity and vision of Ann and Sandy Cross, the ASCCA is dedicated to present and future generations of Albertans as a model of conservation based land management and education. The commitment of Ann and Sandy to the land and wildlife stand as a testament of ecological vision and leadership for all to seek to emulate.
The following values guide everything we do:
To foster conservation of habitat for native species of wildlife.
We aspire to a day when the Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation Area is recognized from the local to the international level as a model of sustainability, a leader in landscape-level approaches to management of protected areas and a key contributor to collaborative approaches in conservation.
In this ideal future:
The Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation Area maximizes the effectiveness of our habitat for wildlife and is sustained within a landscape of connected wildlife habitat. We inspire a conservation land ethic that is understood and embraced by education participants and other stakeholders. Financial and organizational sustainability are achieved.
We achieve our Mission by providing space for wildlife, offering conservation education programs and supporting community conservation initiatives.
We achieve the Mission and Vision by adhering to the following Guiding Principles:
- We protect habitat and provide space for native species of wildlife through the careful management of the Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation Area’s natural resources.
- We offer conservation education programs, particularly for young people, without jeopardizing area wildlife and habitat. Our innovative programs foster awareness, appreciation and action while managing risk for all education participants.
- We manage human use of the Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation Area through a system of entry by registration, and other impact reduction techniques.
- We collaborate positively with our stakeholders in a climate of sharing, co-operation, and mutually beneficial support.
- We pursue landscape level approaches in order to protect the Cross Conservation Area as a part of a regional landscape.
- We strive for sustainability in all aspects of our operations, i.e., human, financial, organizational and environmental.